A Gymnasium for Eton College
Founded in 1440 by King Henry VI, Eton College is the worlds best known public school. Standards are very high and were delighted to be asked to provide a temporary gymnasium on the artificial playing field. Fews specialise in temporary gymnasiums, and this project was an opportunity to demonstrate our capabilities.
The structure we built consisted of a 15 metre x 35 metre clearspan aluminium frame on a 3 metre leg. To guarantee comfortable use throughout the winter months we fitted insulated 40mm sandwich panel walls, glass panel walls and glazed double doors.
The roof consisted of a double skin thermo PVC sheet to provide insulation and eliminate condensation – a very important part of the specification for this type of usage.
A raised level floor able to support some heavy loads and physical activity was necessary, therefore a cassette ring beam floor system was installed at a height of 155mm.
Access ramps and rails were fitted to all doors on the front with access platforms and rails on the side entrances.
A total of 64 x 1000kg concrete weights were used to anchor the structures, each covered for safety and aesthetics.
Power was handled through a 125amp 3 phase distribution board, feeding 20 wall-mounted 13 amp double sockets.
This was an important project for a prestigious institution, one which we were proud to be a part of and complete to the client’s satisfaction.
- Clearspan Aluminium Frame Structure, 15m Wide x 35m Long with 3m
- Thermo Insulated PVC Roof Covers,
- 15m x 35m of Cassette Ring Beam Floor System
- Glass Wall Panels
- Insulated 40mm Sandwich Panel Walling – WHITE
- 2.5m Glazed Double Door with Glass Panels
- Timber Decking Access Platform and Ramp with Timber Handrails
- Plastic Gutters & Downpipes to Side Elevations
- 1000kg Concrete Weight(s) with White Polythene Cover
- LIGHTING, ELECTRICS & HEATING
- Wind Speed 28m/s (When Fully Enclosed)
For other temporary gymnasium case studies: